Why we collect, use and share your personal information
We collect, use and share your personal information, including personal health information, for the following purposes:
- To provide you with products and services such as prescriptions, immunizations, over the counter medications, health coaching programs, vitamins, supplements and other health, beauty and consumer products;
- To establish and maintain a responsible commercial relationship with you and to provide ongoing service;
- To understand your needs and preferences;
- To create an electronic patient and/or customer record;
- To provide you with information such as medication and health information related to your condition, medication reviews, immunizations, drug interactions, alternative medication therapies and other healthcare services as appropriate for your needs;
- To work with your healthcare providers to optimize your care. For example, discussing medication issues with your prescribing physician, modifying medication or medication doses, monitoring care and assisting with any additional medication or healthcare needs;
- To provide you with information and additional product or service recommendations that may assist in your health and wellbeing or be of interest to you;
- To provide you with electronic or digital tools that help you access our products and services or learn more about our offerings;
- To help develop, enhance or improve the quality of our products and services through understanding our customers’ needs, conducting market research and investigating new business processes;
- To provide you with information about our businesses, products and services through our marketing efforts; and
- To fulfill our professional, legal or regulatory obligations.
How information is collected
We collect information directly from you that you share with us when you contact one of our staff, fill a prescription, purchase products, use our services or contact us through our website or digital applications. We may also collect information indirectly through other people involved in your healthcare. For example, we may collect information:
- From your physician, other prescribers, community pharmacists or other healthcare providers when clarifying your medication needs;
- From your benefits provider in order to assist in managing your medication therapy program;
- From your authorized representative or substitute decision-maker;
- From your electronic health records;
- From any digital form or communication that you share with us; and
- From digital applications, such as our Sunshine Drugs mobile application, that you use in conjunction with our services.
How information is shared and disclosed
When we provide you with healthcare services, we may share your personal and personal health information with your healthcare providers when it is necessary for your healthcare. We may share personal information within our organization including our parent company, subsidiaries or related entities in order to manage our business operations or to learn how we may better serve you. We may share personal information with credit bureaus for credit-related purposes when it is reasonable to do so.
We may share personal information with a public authority or other party if, in our reasonable judgement, it appears that there is imminent danger to the life, health or security of an individual which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the personal information.
We do not share personal information, including personal health information, without your consent for other purposes unless we are legally required to do so. For example, your personal information may be disclosed to respond to a court order or under a specific statute (e.g. the Coroner’s Act or Adult Guardianship Act).
How Sunshine Drugs ensures that personal information is secure
We use electronic and paper records to manage and store information efficiently, and to ensure the quality of the services we deliver.
We record your information in our pharmacy management systems, client relationship systems and marketing systems, such as marketing lists and mobile applications. Your information is stored on premises and/or in an offsite datacenter, and we use automated backups to our offsite datacenter in order to ensure security and availability of information. All locations are treated as secure and accessible only by authorized personnel.
We use a variety of safeguards to protect your electronic information including encryption, passwords and access audits. Best industry practices and protocols for security are implemented and maintained in compliance with Privacy Legislation.
How to make a request to view, correct or remove personal information Sunshine Drugs has collected
By means of written request to the location at which you received service, you may:
- request to view or correct personal information;
- request to have your name removed from our marketing lists;
- request deletion of your personal information or withdraw your consent, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. This may limit our ability to serve you and may force us to cancel some or all of the services you receive from us.
In some situations, you may be able to delete personal information yourself. For example, you can delete your Sunshine Drugs mobile application by navigating to the “Settings” option of the menu and selecting the “Account” option and then clicking the “Delete Account” link and following the prompts. This removes the mobile application and the information stored in the application from your device, but does not remove personal information stored in our pharmacy management systems.
If you have further questions about your personal information at Sunshine Drugs, contact our Privacy Officer: privacyofficer@SunshineDrugs.com.